Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Baby Blue Corduroy Embroidery Kit

Man, I was bored today, or at least I would have been if I didn't have an unlimited supply of odd fabrics and ample crafting space in my attic crafting room.  I decided to make a folding wrap to put my hand sewing/embroidery tools and supplies into when I take my hand sewing with me on the go.

Here it is.  I finally found a use for a couple of my odd colored bright green large buttons. I think they fit perfectly.  I had to borrow my aunt's sewing machine to make the button holes. They turned out rather nice.

Here is the inside.  I probably could make it a bit shorter and use less fabric, but I was just making it up as I went.  For embroidery you need floss, scissors, needles, a thimble, and a transfer pencil or water erasable marker.  I also think I will keep a folded piece of tracing paper, just in case.  With the large size it would also be possible to fold an embroidery project in progress and enclose it within the wrap to protect it and keep it with the supplies.

A closer look with neat bows.

Here is everything laid out of its pocket.  If I were taking hand sewing with me I could put a spool of thread in the thimble pocket, even a large spool fits, or tie one or two spools in with the ribbons.  I would also need sewing needles instead of embroidery needles, and could want a chalk pencil rather than a transfer pencil. This is not the  thimble that I actually use, but was god enough for a photo prop.

This is what the back looks like.  I could have avoided the seams showing on the back if I would have sewed the pockets on before I sewed the layers together, but I am not too picky.  If I were to make these for selling on Etsy, then I would be more careful with things like that.  I also would try to make the seams a little straighter.
 
I have a color theme going on in my craft room.  It was totally unintentional, but almost everything, from plastic bins and baskets to the projects in progress are light blue, bright light green and white or cream.  I had a whole bolt of this light blue corduroy just sitting there, so I thought it would look nice and be very functional. I got the bolt of fabric at the community yard sale at the Toyota Center in town last year.  I think I paid 5 dollars for the entire thing.  There is at least 15 yards on it.  Carrying it around the sale afterward was a bit heavy.  I was with my aunt and she got a bolt of very heavy dark blue denim.  That was even heavier.  They were too good a deal to pass up, even with the heavy load we had to carry with us the rest of the trip and all the way back to our car afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment